Are you someone who works remotely? Have you dreamed of being able to work while enjoying life in Spain? The reality of this lifestyle has never been more accessible than right now!
As of December 2022, a new type of visa has now been approved and is available to non-EU residents who work remotely. The “Nomad Visa” is part of the larger Startup Act that Spain is hoping will lead the country to become a leader in the new digital era of the world. A destination for remote workers who want to live the Spanish lifestyle while working for countries around the world. Many of the coastal towns such as Javea or Denia and major cities like Madrid, Barcelona or Valencia already cater to many digital nomads and would hope to see a greater influx after the passing of this law.
Similar Visas in Europe
This is not the first scheme of this type to be announced around Europe, with similar visas in Italy and Greece attracting remote workers from across the world who want to live the Mediterranean dream while maintaining their current job. The passing of this act in Spain is the first step in what many hope will be a more global outlook on living and working.
How do you qualify?
So what do you need to know about the Nomad Visa, and is it applicable to you? Below, we have prepared a free PDF for download to check that you meet the criteria and can begin your new life working in Spain. The main points you should look out for are the following:
- Applicants need to be from outside of the European Economic Area.
- You must work with non-EU companies or receive a maximum of 20% of your income from Spanish companies as a freelancer.
- You must have worked with your client or for the company for a minimum of 3 months.
- You must prove you earn a minimum of €28,000 to be self-sufficient (200% of the monthly minimum wage in Spain.)
- Private health insurance will be required
- Visas are valid for 12 months initially and can be renewed for up to 5 years.
If you can meet these initial criteria, we recommend you download our free PDF and begin the process of applying to be a digital nomad living and working in Spain.